Feb 9, 2008

Here we are!

Delaney Bolin: I was born and raised in Seattle, I grew up in the Green Lake neighborhood, two blocks away from the Lake itself. Growing up that close to water has made me an avid swimmer and, if its warm enough, you'll most likely find me in the closest body of water. I'm majoring in Communication. I hope to use my degree to obtain a job in the marketing industry. I enjoy meeting new people and learning about the differences in the ways we live, laugh, and enjoy life. When I'm not studying, I love to hang out with my boyfriend and my friends, watch movies and read fiction. Another passion of mine is poetry. One other thing you should know about me: my incredible ability to NOT let negative things effect me too much. I have never stayed upset for more than a few minutes. Life is too precious to live it angry or worried.

Andy Dean: I'm from Renton Washington- a small but growing suburb located south of Seattle. Right now I'm covering my prerequisites to major in Communication and Business. I hope to focus either or both of those majors towards marketing and especially commercials and add conception and design. My career goal would be to own my own advertising company and make a 30 second TV spot for the Super Bowl. My one big interest in life is sports. I am probably watching or playing them in most of my free time. An interesting fact about me is that I've exited a plane at 10,000 feet with a large man strapped to my back. It was for a tandem skydive!

Emily Eggers: I'm a sophomore at the UW. I grew up in the Seattle suburb of Issaquah, Washington. When I'm not studying or spending time with my family and friends, I'm very active in my local Church. I also enjoy exercising, hiking, swimming, going to concerts, traveling, and reading (not just textbooks!). My friends and I love to play sports together like basketball and dodge ball, and I love watching Husky football. I have a passion for traveling, and have so far been to France, Mexico, and most recently, India. These trips, as well as my knowledge of the French language, have inspired me to pursue a major in Communication, specifically International Communication. Ultimately, I'd like to work in a field that allows me to travel and communicate with people of different cultures. I spent a year studying at the University of Colorado last year, so this is my first year at the UW. I miss the mountains, but I love being back in Seattle!

Courtney Gosnell: I'm from Sunnyvale, California, which is in the bay area (south of San Francisco). I'm a sophomore, currently studying Business Administration and I would like my emphasis to be in marketing. My career goal is to work in marketing, preferably in the sports or entertainment industries. Outside of school, I love playing sports, working out, and listening to music. I have participated in lots of intramural sports at UW such as softball and crew. One interesting thing about me is that I can hardly cook anything, but I can make perfect pancakes (from a mix of course).

Jen Han: I'm from Seattle/Federal Way, Washington and have lived in the area all my life. I'm studying Communication and Political Science, and my career goals are to work for a PR company, and eventually start my own business. My interests include traveling, most outdoor activities (boating, hiking, swimming, wakeboarding, rollerblading, bicycling, the occasional team sport), trying new things, eating candy (I work at a candy store!), reading, watching movies, yoga, and in general simply spending time and laughing with my friends and family! I'm a full Korean black belt! My parents immigrated to the USA over 25 years ago, and I was born and raised in America. Also, I grew up taking Tak Won Do, which is the traditional Korean martial arts.

Kristy Hogue: I've lived all over the US (mostly the western half), but I feel most at home in Washington and Oregon. I'm a Communication and Comparative Literature double major. My main goals at the moment are getting my degrees and attending graduate school. I'm really interested in research, but not sure what role that will play in my eventual career. As far as non-academic activities I love to snowboard, write, and see good movies. And when I really have extended free time (which isn't often) I like to immerse myself in a good book. I also love to do outdoorsy things like camp, hike, and swim. An interesting fact about me is that I know American Sign Language. And that I'm part of the 1% of people that do not fear public speaking.

Rachel Hollcraft: I grew up in Portland, Oregon and now live in LA as well. I am a communication major. I hope to understand the ways in which the media affect our society and try to push a positive change. I also want to help empower women through clothing and finally one day become a motivational speaker. I have a love for fashion, travel, giving back and empowering women. I am involved in Student government, my sorority and a speaking group advocating against rape. Angelina Jolie is one of my role models, Ellen DeGeneres would be a dream best friend and Gandhi is the "cutest old man." I also make my own clothes and headbands.

Cynthia Jonas: I’m from Anacortes, Washington and I’m a senior in Communication with a minor in International Studies—graduating this summer! I hope eventually to get into a career in broadcasting, although I also have my eye on PR or event planning as well. I absolutely love music (playing, listening, watching, or talking about it), film, theater, cultural studies, and practicing my German. I'm definitely a travel/backpacking addict, with northern Europe and Japan as my favorite destinations and I’m always down for an adventure. I’ve played bass guitar in a band for most of my time at college and I currently deejay a classic rock radio show through the UW.s.

Tameka Lampkin: I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio but both my parents are from Mississippi and they’ve always tried to instill Southern values in our family. The reason I’m in now is because I was stationed here when I was in the navy and I liked it so much here that I didn’t want to leave. I’m a pre-Humanities major but my plan is to study communication and culture. I want to go to grad school and one day become a leader in my community. I want to help people and I believe that by going to university I could learn the skills needed to have my voice heard. I am mostly interested in influencing and helping people through communication (e.g. as a counselor). I have a good sense of humor and am able to laugh at myself even when things get stressful. One of my greatest hobbies is dancing and singing. I love music and I have played the violin for ten years.

Maggie McVey: I’ve lived in Woodinville, Washington my entire life. I’m in my first year at the UW and my intention is to major in Finance and minor in French. I’d also like participate in the CISB (Certificate of International Studies in Business) program to have an international degree and to be able to focus on European business. I’m also interested in culture and history as well as business, so my hope is to find a career in finance that allows me to travel and explore other areas of the world while I work. My family has always been very athletic and my two brothers and I participated in sports growing up, so staying active is something I enjoy doing. My first few months of college life have been wonderful and I’m looking forward to the next three years – it’s going by fast and so I want to enjoy it as much as possible!

Sara Mobley: My name is Sara and I've lived in Washington my whole life. I grew up in the small town of Port Orchard, and have lived in Seattle for the past two years while attending the University of Washington. I'm majoring in political science and looking into either double majoring or minoring in communications, and hope to continue on to law school. I have a passion for traveling, music, golf, and spending time with my friends. I've been lucky enough to have been to France, Germany, Spain, Austria, Italy, England, Switzerland, and Belgium. I love the French language and am excited to possibly practice it this summer!

Kamal Sidhu: I'm from India, grew up in Washington on a blueberry farm. I'm studying computer science, hope to one day better integrate computers and agriculture. I like cinema, my favorite movie is Lost in Translation. I also like to play tennis and badminton. I like jogging, I guess you could call it a hobby I do it enough. If I had to guess about something that set me apart from all of the others in the group I would say my upbringing, I live in a pretty old fashioned Indian family and we are farmers in a very urban world.

Deanna Sonni: I'm a junior at the UW. I moved to Washington in September 2007 from Napa, California to go to school and spend time with my dad. I grew up in Napa which is famous for its beautiful vineyards, wines, and fine dinning. I plan to major in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and to minor in German and International Studies. I want to live a life of my passion to travel and study the world in a specific manner in which I have yet to discover. I love eclecticism in cultures, societies, nature, and art so I would like to be able to incorporate those elements into my career. I enjoy reading and music from all around the world, especially the Middle East. I love art and have been practicing it since I was 16. I wish to open my own art gallery some day incorporating my diverse global inspirations.

Cameron Summers: I spent most of my upbringing living about 15 minutes east of Seattle in Redmond, Washington. I'm currently a Senior at the UW and this spring/summer will graduate with degrees in both Psychology and Communication, with minor degrees in Earth and Space Sciences and Environmental Studies. As this might indicate, I have a wide range of interests for my career goals. My short-term plan is to get into real estate/housing renovation while pursuing a Master's Degree in Architecture or Construction Management. Apart from academics, I spend time playing for a couple Puget Sound baseball leagues, am an avid outdoorsman and am always exploring what nature provides us, from the arid climates of the Middle East to the frozen tundra of the Arctic. One unique thing I sometimes share with people is that I am a veteran of the U.S. Navy. While serving I was aboard an aircraft carrier, served as a firefighter, rescue swimmer and in a Special Forces unit. Above all I believe it was these experiences that have helped shape my personality and perspective about my world today.

Jordan Van Vleet: I was born and have been raised in Washington state my whole life. I'm a junior at the UW aiming to study journalism or political science. After graduating with my bachelor’s degree, I hope to attend law school. As a lawyer, I'd be concerned with making a difference in my community and helping ensure justice prevails. When I'm not hitting the books, I enjoy snowboarding, rock climbing, golfing, watching movies, and spending time with my good friends. An interesting fact about me is that I've worked in a bank for nearly three years. While this job has nothing to do with my future career goals, I've learned a great deal during my time there and will take that knowledge away with me to use in other aspects of my life.

Johannah Wergin: I was born in Seattle, but grew up in Bellingham, Washington. I'm currently a Communication major. I love learning about how people communicate and about international media. I'm not yet decided on a career - maybe working with a radio station? I love to travel and like to play sports (volleyball, soccer and tennis). I enjoy and have some experience in theater and drama. I wakeboard, snowboard and hike! I love to laugh, I'm left-handed and an only child. Oh, and my name's pronounced 'yo-hannah'!